|Governor McDonnell Finalizes Transportation Package
Adds Toll Road Authority and Naming Rights
Passes on Indexing
Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell added several components to the transportation program he announced in December, but chose not to include indexing the state gas tax to inflation*.
New provisions of particular note include:
- Local transportation plans must be consistent with the Statewide Transportation Plan and Six-Year Improvement Program.
- Localities terminating or amending projects for which state or federal funds have been spent must repay amount spent or fund cost of changes.
- Creation of the Virginia Toll Road Authority to oversee construction, operation and maintenance of toll roads.
- CTB can sell naming rights to transportation infrastructure. Proceeds to Highway and Maintenance Operation Fund.
- Secretary of Transportation shall work with localities to develop proposal for devolving secondary roads to localities for consideration during 2013 session.
- Secretary of Transportation shall, with Northern Virginia localities, study issues surrounding creation of Northern Virginia Metropolitan Planning Organization.
The package is included in several bills --
Transportation Funding and Reform
- House: HB 1248
- Sales Tax: Increases transportation's share from 0.5% to 0.75%
- General Fund Revenue Growth: Dedicates 1% of growth above 5% to transportation.
- Surplus Revenues: Increases transportation share to 75%
- Transportation Improvement Districts: CTB can create districts wherein 25% of growth in state tax revenues attributable to a transportation project goes to Transportation Trust Fund.
- Plus (as above): Naming rights, Virginia Toll Road Authority, state/local plan consistency, local fiscal liability for project termination/changes, devolution, NVMPO.
Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Board Composition -- HB 252 (May) and SB 237(Colgan)
- Increases MWAA board of directors from 13-17 with two additional seats to Virginia, one to MD and one to DC.
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Reform - HB 601 (LeMunyon)
- Codifies Virginia's seat on WMATA board of Directors.
- Establishes qualifications for board appointment.
Port of Virginia Promotion and Reform - HB 1183 (Cosgrove/Purkey); SB 578 (Wagner)
Virginia Commercial Space Flight Authority Promotion and Reform -- HB 813 (May); SB 284(Herring)
To read Governor McDonnell's press release, click here.
*Gas tax indexing bills introduced include: HB 899 (Albo) and SB 162 (Petersen)