Statewide Network Profile
State-maintained System: 57,867 miles
- Interstate - 1,118 miles of four-to-ten lane highways that connect states and major cities.
- Primary - 8,111 miles of two-to-six-lane roads that connect cities and towns with each other and with interstates.
- Secondary - 48,661 miles of local connector or county roads. These generally are numbered 600 and above. Arlington and Henrico counties maintain their own county roads.
- Frontage - 333 miles of frontage roads that run parallel to an expressway and allows local traffic to gain access to property.
- Urban system – 10,561 miles (maintained by cities and towns with help of state funds)
Henrico County (1,279 miles) and Arlington County (359 miles) maintain their own roads with VDOT funds. There are 39 additional miles of toll roads maintained by others.